Thursday, March 8, 2012

8 days later

Let's start from the beginning. I first began considering weight loss surgery in December 2010. However, at the time it still seemed so drastic to me and I didn't feel like I would qualify through insurance. A year later I finally decided it was time to act. I called the center back and got the ball rolling quickly. I started on December 19th and was in surgery February 29th.  In between, I had doctors appointments, a psych eval, sleep studies (where I found I have sleep apnea), classes, and support group meetings.

I scheduled the surgery for February 29th and had a 2 week low carb diet followed by 2 days of clear liquids before the surgery. I was very calm the day of the surgery. I remember laying there waiting, and I was just ready to get it over. I wasn't nervous and I wasn't re-thinking my decision. I knew it was the best decision I could make. The surgery went very smoothly, and the recovery hasn't been so bad either. I'm keeping this blog to keep track of my progress and to share my experience with others.

  • Day 1 - I was out of surgery and in my room by early afternoon. I don't remember as much about that day because of the pain killers. I know I wanted to get up and walk around more but instead they kept me in the bed most of the day.
  • Day 2 - I finally got my catheter out and had the chance to sit up in a chair. I had my swallow test which was found perfect so they brought "lunch" (water and jello) up to my room. I slowly sipped and was doing pretty well until a small bit of jello decided it didn't want to go down. I ended up getting sick and had to stay an extra night. I did get up more and walked the halls.
  • Day 3 - My night was interrupted by announcements over the hospital of intercom of tornado warnings, which made getting any sleep even harder. I was so ready to go home when they finally released me. I got to start phase 2 of my diet, protein shakes and sugar free liquids, that day and it was really difficult to get much down.
  • Days 4-5  - Spent most of these 2 days resting and focusing on getting fluids. We did run out to the store once each day. I was getting around pretty good but was moving a little more slowly than usual.
  • Day 6 - I had a rough day with my new sleeve. I felt so fatigued and rough all day. I had a really difficult time getting any fluids or proteins down. I finally tried Unjury Chicken Soup protein and that helped.
  • Day 7 - I went to the doctor for my first follow-up.  He said I'm healing well and doing great. I've lost 11 lbs since the week before surgery. He said I can start soft/pureed/mushed foods in another week. I'm really looking forward to it. I miss actually chewing. :D
  • Day 8 - I felt great yet tired all day. I had no trouble getting my proteins or fluids in. From what I understand, this happens once the swelling starts going down. If it wasn't for the lack of energy, I'd almost be feeling totally normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment